Outer Banks Sunrise

Thursday, July 25, 2013

IN AND AROUND NEWPORT, OREGON

I hate heat.  And I hate to use the word "hate."  But I absolutely H-A-T-E heat.  Anything over 76 degrees makes me feel like I've got PMS all over again, and, trust me, I'm waaaaay beyond PMS.  Scary!  What to do? What to do?

Escape to my beginnings:  the coast.  Just one problem though...I had to go through heat in order to get to the coast where my favorite color (GRAY!) greeted me and miracle of miracles, I became a civilized human being again -- almost overnight!

Historic, Kitschy Bayfront






Breweries, Painted Buildings and Sidewalk Art



One of Several Newport Glass Blowing Hot Spots








Hatfield Marine Science Center -- So fun and interesting, there was no time left for the Aquarium!

Yaquina Head Outstanding Natural Area's Lighthouse...
and Bridge






Another "historic"...Historic Nye Beach

And yet ANOTHER "historic."  This one belongs on your bucket list .. even if only for the food:  Sylvia Beach Hotel, a Hotel for Book Lovers.  And lovers of leisurely, 4-star meals, four courses, prix fixe, served family style -- unique.









And whoever doesn't believe in Mother Nature's magic, go to your room!
Wind, water, waves.  One day Nye Beach was calm and flat.
After 24 hours of incessant, high wind, the beach grew from flat sand to sand dunes...deep dunes, unwalkable dunes (if one was looking for a flat beach!)

But wait!  Just wait another few days of tides and waves...et viola -- no dunes!

1 comment:

  1. Gotta love the coast!!! Like you, I dislike (didn't want to use the word HATE) heat. You picked a great colorful fun place to land.

    ReplyDelete