Outer Banks Sunrise

Monday, July 22, 2013

TAIKO DRUMMERS

Santa Cruz is well known for its spontaneous drum circles -- you never know when or where a group might appear here or there.  But an appearance in Santa Cruz of the Watsonville Taiko Drummers is considered a special event.  My son and I were treated to not one, but two Taiko groups at the Japanese Cultural Festival held in Santa Cruz each June.

These are some faces of Watsonville and San Francisco Taiko Drummers.  For me, these throbbing, rhythmic, goosebump-raising sounds are spiritual.



Young or old, the intense, passionate energy coming from these drummers is palpable and invigorating.
And the so-obvious enjoyment of their craft is so very infectious.



I don't consider my photographs "art," but I do hope that my images help tell a story.  Or, at least tell you something about the colorful world we live in.



San Francisco's Taiko Maestro on the left; my gorgeous son on the right.








No comments:

Post a Comment