Outer Banks Sunrise

Monday, September 1, 2014

THE PALISADES

Along Colorado Highway 149 between South Fork and Creede, the road follows the Rio Grande River.  The area is known as the "Palisades."   The State of Colorado has established fishing access points all along the river in this corridor, but no camping is allowed. 












I'm on a budget though, and have no compunction about staying overnight at a roadside wide spot.  Especially if it's beautiful, and the river is louder than the traffic.  This sweet spot happens to be in the National Forest, not in a state-managed area, so I took my chances and "dispersed camped" for three nights between the river and the road.



Couldn't have asked for anything better even though my being parked here invited others to join me.  Fortunately, they were day-trippers looking for a place to thrash the water with fishing poles.  Sigh!

I have a friend who gets a kick out of taking "find the bird" photos.  Can you find the animals in this shot?

OK, is this any better?!!

There was a "family" of seven all together that  gathered daily right above my head.

2 comments:

  1. I sure do miss Colorado. We were campground hosts at 30 Mile Campground which was 30 miles west of Creede which is where we spent our days off.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Gorgeous pictures!! Wish I was there.

    ReplyDelete