Outer Banks Sunrise

Wednesday, July 31, 2013

NIRVANA

I am a dithering Goldilocks when confronted with too many choices for places to plunk.  On the Oregon Coast there are county parks, state parks, federal National Forest and BLM parks, National Recreation Areas and waysides; there are parks in ports and on piers, parks on rivers and creeks, parks on lakes; and the ubiquitous shopping center, strip mall or neighborhood.  I've done them all!

My criteria for a five-star squat, in order of importance:  free or inexpensive (a half price geezers' pass is perfect), easy on the eye and spiritually gratifying, internet connectability, a picnic table, refreshing sunshine (NOT HEAT!), a water feature, and, preferably, a place for Sambo to safely enjoy his outside privileges.  During the summer, I could care less if I have shore power or other citified amenities; RV "resorts" aren't an option because my rig's solar panels provide charge for all my basic needs.
I'm a map slut.  For this Summer's adventure on the Oregon Coast, my favorite go-to map has been the Oregon Central Coast Recreation Map published jointly by BLM and the National Forest Service.  This is a 3' x 3' topographic map that doesn't just show where to find sites (N/S from Tillamook to south of Coos Bay and W/E from the coast to I-5), it includes campground details for each site shown and color coded agency specifics for each federal, state and county *public* recreation site.  It has been indispensable.
Rarely do I find a place to squat where all my preferences are found in *one* place -- until now!  Then I discovered Eel Creek NFS campground.  It's at the north end of Oregon Dunes National Recreation Area, and for $10.00 a night, Sambo gets his very own private privy...

...And I get a clean, quiet, level pull-through site with a very private, wind-protected, enclosed sandy patio.  (Bring on the Tiki Lights!)  It's SO private, I could clothing-optional-sunbathe but for  kids chasing their unleashed dog through my "living room."  Since I'm a good citizen and realize that sight would damage them for life, I keep my clothes on!
I had this misconception that any campground in the "Dunes" area would be overrun with noisy dune buggies, off-roading, unmuffled ATV's, but all I hear on this sunny afternoon is the wind in the trees.  In this section of the "Dunes" no OHV's are allowed.  At all.  Whew!  The campground is maybe half full; and a practically-free ($3.00 donation)-state park-dump is just three miles north on Eel Lake.  I don't have a water feature in my back yard, but Eel Creek, is within walking distance.

WEATHER?....Sun is nice, but I like fog too -- Mother Nature's air conditioning.  It usually burns off by mid-day and keeps temperatures just where I like them...no higher than 76 degrees.

Could this be Brigadoon-by-the-Sea?  Say Ahhh!


2 comments:

  1. My list of site needs is very is similar. Glad you have found such a great spot!
    You are hitting some great sites on the OR coast. I will refer back to your posts when I make an OR visit, hopefully next summer. Thanks for the great info!
    Jeanne

    ReplyDelete
  2. Now that is what I would call paradise!! Awesome! Now where can I find this map of forestry and BLM for Oregon?

    ReplyDelete